What's up, guys? Burn Status Productions...I made this tutorial on how to make this cool electric effect with Adobe Photoshop. As you can see, this is what you're going to be making (0:07), except for the swirls and strokes that I made; I added those later. But if you want to, I'll put up another tutorial on how to do that. Just let me know if you guys want that...
Begin your Photoshop project
So, without further ado, let's get this tutorial started.
- What you want to do is open up your Adobe Photoshop CS3/CS4.
- Go ahead and go to File (top menu) >> New.
- Make the Width 1000 (pixels), and the Height 1000. If you want to make a background for your desktop, put in your screen width and your screen height. But if you want to follow along (with this tute), just make the width 1000 and the height 1000. Click OK.
Set the background
Now what you want to do is make sure that the working space is black.
- So go to the LAYERS tab, and click the Background layer.
- Go to Edit >> Fill >> Use: Black. Click OK.
Create the words
Now what you're going to do is make some text.
- So go to your text tool (left menu), and add some text. Make sure that it's 150 pixels, and you can put whatever you want; "BURN STATUS" is mine. Make sure you center the text.
- Now what you want to do is, for that text layer you made, right-click on it and go to Duplicate Layer. Name the layer whatever you want (As:), and just click OK.
Style your text
- Click on the original text layer, not the copy.
- Go to Filter >> Stylize >> Wind, then OK if you have to.
- In the popup box, under Direction, we have From the Right (1:56). Make sure Method is Wind, and click OK. Now you will see that it appears as if the wind is blowing the text.
- Now, on your keyboard, hold Ctrl and hit the F key twice.
- Then go to Filter >> Stylize >> Wind again. This time, under Direction, we're to go From the Left. Then click OK.
- Same as last time, hit Ctrl + F twice.
- Now what you do is go to Image >> Image Rotation >> 90 degrees CW (clockwise).
- Once again, go to Filter >> Stylize >> Wind, switch Direction to From the Right then click OK.
- Repeat Ctrl + F twice.
- Filter >> Stylize >> Wind (for the 4th and last time), and set Direction to From the Left again. Click OK.
- Ctrl + F twice.
- Now go to Image >> Image Rotation >> 90 degrees CCW (counterclockwise). That will set the text back to its original orientation.
What you do now in the tutorial is put on the color.
- So right-click on the text layer (in the LAYERS tab), and go to Blending Options.
- Click the Color Overlay checkbox, and, under Blend Mode, make the text color any one you want. However, if you make the text black you won't be able to see it, so you don't want to make it black. You can make it blue, red, green, just whatever (other than black) color that you like. I'm going to make mine red.
A Photo(shop) finish...
Once you do that, all you have to do is go to File >> Save As. Save the file as either a JPEG or a PNG; either of those two are good. Once you save it, you're basically done. The additional strokes I made will be in a different tutorial...
I hope you guys enjoyed this Photoshop tutorial by Burn Status Productions...Peace out!